Tuesday, November 30, 2010

new job

I got a job recruiting backpackers and tourists straight off the bus  to to the hostel I stayed at for a little more than two weeks here in Tamarindo. The compensation is purely commission, based on how many travelers and how many nights they stay. It's not much but should help me bridge over to peak tourism season when I can hopefully wait tables again or something.
Also, I may help with selling tours inside the surf shop and on the street. The commission for that is much higher so hopefully I'll get started on that soon.

I kept in touch with the young Canadian couple that owns Blue Trailz surf shop and hostel, dropping in to say hi after my daily walk searching for work. They told me I could work for them if I couldn't find anything else last week, and I still haven't. Most businesses are still slow and tell me to come back in a couple of weeks or after Christmas.
Previously my friend from Quebec had been doing this job for them, but he was just here on a surfing vacation.

Convincing backpackers to stay here shouldn't be too hard, since it's much closer to the beach than any others and much nicer. It's the #1 rated hostel on tripadvisor.com in Tamarindo, and I knew that months before I even came to Costa Rica.
Check out their website: http://www.bluetrailz.com/
They do all sorts of cool stuff, they even have a boardwalk that leads to a small outdoor yoga studio. The surf shop is in the front and has sand for flooring. I miss staying there, meeting new people all the time and hanging out. Don't get me wrong though, I love my apartment and it's a definite upgrade.

With this job I'll be able to meet new people from around the world and hang out there once again! Very excited about that.


There's the the front.

I'm watching the clamation Christmas classic "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". The Christmas songs sound a little out of place blended with the hum of the a/c and howls of the monkeys.















1 comment:

  1. HOORAY!! I'm so excited for you that you have a job! You will be a perfect source of information for tourists because you have been in their shoes recently. You've learned your way around the area and have much information to share with them. I wouldn't be surprised if this first job leads to something even better. And you get to reconnect with the people staying at the hostel even though you no longer live there. This Canadian couple sounds very nice and helpful; so glad you met them. Have a great week, and Pura Vida, y'all!

    ReplyDelete