Thursday, November 18, 2010

thongs everywhere

And I'm not talking about flip-flops.
Since nothing worth writing about happened today, I guess it's time to finally make the long awaited, much anticipated blog entry on the local beach attire. I've been dreading it since my friends parents, family, and even my grandmother read this but I'll try to keep it as PG as I can.

In Tamarindo it is almost unusal not to see a girl wearing a thong bikini on the beach.
The locals almost always do and the tourists soon pick up on the trend and buy one themselves. It's not like the kind you think of, not just a string, but starts out like a regular swimsuit thick at the top then gradually disappears into a cheek sandwich.



Even the more modest surfer girl bikinis are still cut to show more cheek than almost anything you'd see at your local pool or lake in America. It's just not that big of a deal here. I've been told it's the Brazilian style that's made it's way north to Costa Rica. It's no big deal for European or Australian girls either.
At first it was a bit of a shock to see all these exposed sandy buns on the beach and in the streets but like anything, after awhile you get used to it.
There's even one lady that goes around selling necklaces all day in her black thong swimsuit. She has a very large rear end, one can't help but notice. I guess she thinks it helps with sales. For me, no gracias, please don't walk up to me like that por favor no matter how cool your jewelry is.

Women of all ages wear them, from teenagers to 40's.
I haven't seen any topless sunbathing here, but I did on the more secluded beaches of the Caribbean everyday since it's less touristy and the beaches less populated. I'm not sure what the local laws are, but I do know locals frown upon hippies skinny dipping at an unofficial nude beach in Montezuma, a town located on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula. Tamarindo is about 4 hours to the northwest.

The local guys are of course much more modest, no banana hammocks or speedos here. Long bright colored board shorts with wild patterns is what's popular. I bought one myself....even though it was relatively expensive, well worth it.
To be honest I felt out of place wearing my plain white and black with a drawstring and stretchy-waistband bathing suit. The pair I bought is black and grey at the top that fades into an oceany turquoise. No stretchy waistband, no lining, goes well past the knees, perfect.
How can you ever hope to have respect as a surfer if you look like you're about to go to Hurricane Harbor?
 Real boardshorts don't have lining because it only gets in the way when you're surfing, not comfortable. Besides, this is the ocean and not a public pool.  The big waves have a way of trying to eat your bathing suit right off you so it's important to keep it tied tight. The bikinis have bungee cords on the side to help stay fastened. The boardshorts have thick laces.
The size I bought was 36, but since I've been here my size 36 shorts are becoming much looser. Walking or biking everywhere, surfing, and not eating fast food or big portions equals less body fat.
I'm hoping my suit will still stay on as long as I tie it real tight even if my waist does shrink back to the 34 inches I was for years. All the suits sit dangerously low on the waist and I'm quickly losing the necessary fat and belly to hold it up.
I'll happily take the sleeker bod though even if it means having to buy another swimsuit.



The ocean's color is turning that deep Pacific blue now since it hasn't rained in so long. The sky was cloudy and the waves make the ones in the Gulf of Mexico look like tsunamis.  Here's to hoping for more sun and bigger waves, as well as some trabajo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment