Sunday, November 21, 2010

another friend leaves, and more 'small world' evidence

tonight I went out because my friend from Quebec leaves tomorrow. I've been hanging out with him since I arrived in Tamarindo late October. Now he leaves at 9 this morning to Santa Teresa in search of better waves. Santa Teresa is a town further south on the peninsula, facing west on the very tip. He's been here in Tamarindo two weeks longer than me, so I can't blame him for wanting to move on before he leaves in December.
It's kind of sad, really. Since I've been here I've had a buddy to hang out with. The first being 'Andy' from Switzerland, we spent time together in San Jose twice and the whole time I was in Puerto Viejo was mostly palling around with Andy. He had a rental car, which was awesome for me.

Blue Trailz hostel is kinda dead at the moment. No new travelers to befriend and introduce the town to like several did to me when I first arrived. Blue Trailz is the hostel I stayed for a little more than two weeks.

Something very interesting did happen tonight before I went out. Three girls, all native Costa Ricans yet fluent English speakers, got off a bus at the hostel.
One asked me, "Where are you from?"
I replied. "Texas, Fort Worth and a little time in Austin."
She laughed. Apparently her dad was an engineer who got a work visa for the US while she was growing up, and attended both RIDGLEA HILLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL and MONNIG MIDDLE SCHOOL.
What a small, small world. I attended both. She enrolled 3 years after me.
She had also lived in Austin for a short while. Me too.



I've met several people with Fort Worth or Texas connections here in Costa Rica.
The first, my neighbor in Puerto Viejo. His parents lived right across from "The Canyons" apartments on River Park Drive, where I used to live.
The second was a couple from Spokane, Washington I sat by on the flight to Houston from Denver, Colorado on my way to San Jose, Costa Rica. They were originally from Russia but their English was very good. Somehow, after two weeks on a separate coast, I managed to run into them at a small restaurant in Tamarindo, on the west coast.
We had each traveled up and down the opposite coasts, yet somehow managed to meet as the only customers to dine in a local Tamarindo restaurant.
Then tonight. What are the odds I meet a native Costa Rican girl who attended the same elementary and middle school as me?
Crazy stuff.
Her English is flawless, she lived in Amsterdam before moving to Texas and attending school as a first grader all the way to seventh.. Her family was one month away from acquiring citizenship before her dad's engineering contract expired.

 Feel free to comment or subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment