Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Canadians

No not those Canadians, the term waiters use to describe a certain type of customer that generally doesn't tip.
Real Canadians from Canada. They are all over the place here on the Pacific coast. Living, working, running businesses, traveling, backpacking, I've met very many. They couldn't be nicer or more polite.
The funny thing is, I really thought the accent was just a hockey player stereotype but it's not. They really do pronounce words very differently. Alright is "air-right", about is "aboot", and they end almost every statement with the word "ay?". Here's an example:
"What was your name again? Jeff ay?"
"Nope, just Jeff."
It sounds very funny to me and I want to laugh and mock them so bad(in good taste of course) but I don't want them to take it the wrong way.

I think the US has a different sense of humor, we can do imitations and impersonations as good natured humor but I have a feeling they might not see it that way elsewhere. With friends in Texas we always used weird voices when impersonating one another or someone else for the sake of humor. I want to do that here with the British and Canadians and French Canadians but I refrain. I've gotten used to saying "you all" instead of "ya'll". Most English speakers from outside the states ask "what?" if I use that word.

The French Canadian from Quebec knows some English but has trouble understanding me. At first I thought that was odd since English is the official language of Canada, even though Quebec has a strong French cultural influence. He has since told me in Quebec, you are required by law to attend a French language school, meaning, all the subjects are taught in French. This is in place to protect their culture, and he supports it. If both your parents attended a French school, you are required to as well. If one has not, you can attend an English school.
As you can imagine this can make things difficult if a child is born in the states but moves to Quebec and their parents attended French school. He gave me an example of this. His uncle had two kids born in San Francisco, and the oldest grew to age 5 speaking and learning English. He then moved back to Quebec and she was required to go to a French school not knowing French. She's adapted but I imagine it was difficult at first. He informed me the government is very strict about protecting their cultural identity, and it is nearly impossible to get around it. There are no exceptions, if your parents are from Quebec, you learn French. Apparently English is not spoken or written much there as well.
The other interesting thing is the lack of religion or churches. Churches have fallen out of favor with the population and now most people are non-believers, according to my roommate.

I pride myself on being from Texas. It just sounds so much better than "Pennsylvania" or "New York" or wherever else. A lot of travelers have been there, mostly just flying through Houston International Airport.

The surfing was bad today. Small waves and debris in the water. I learned they actually surf in Canada, using wetsuits of course, and have nice beaches, according to then.
I have a dream of surfing a wave like this someday:

3 comments:

  1. HOLY S***! video is crazy! I'm suprised it didnt end with a "RIP dude"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe that some IDIOT (I mean, extremely brave person!) would go out on a board in waves like that! Is he still alive??

    ReplyDelete
  3. he lived and won the biggest wave competition and all the prize money.
    i'm sure he's a legend in the surfing community.

    ReplyDelete