Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!

A very hot and humid Christmas it was today here in Tamarindo! Probably the hottest day since I've been here.
According to accuweather.com, the high was 84 degrees Fahrenheit, but the heat index was 94 degrees.
The normal is around 82-86 but the lack of wind today and humidity around 88% made it feel much hotter.

I usually sit in the sun on purpose when outside at a restaurant, to tan, but today I had to move out of my seat because I was so hot. Sarah and I looked far and wide for an open restaurant. I really did not want to have another ham and cheese sandwich, especially on Christmas. I've had enough of those.
 Spaghetti with ground beef, scrambled eggs with cheese, and ham and cheese sandwiches have pretty much been my diet lately. I really need to expand on my cooking. It would help having a grill though. The stove in our apartment takes about 20 minutes to get hot enough to cook on even turned all the way up. It's frustratingly slow even when hot.
So everything I make ends up tasting nice juicy and tender due to being "slow-cooked" but if you know me, and know my appetite, I would much rather have the food cooked fast and sacrifice some taste.

We finally found an open restaurant on the beach, a seafood place. The prices for the main dishes were expensive but I asked if they had cheeseburgers and to my surprise the waiter showed me the very back of the menu.  I've only had about 5 burgers since I've been in CR so I felt like Christmas would be ok to reward myself for eating healthy.
I chose the "especial" burger. Get ready for this:
2 beef patties
2 slices of cheese
2 slices of thick bacon
2 squares of ham


and of course the buns and dressing. I know what you're thinking, "that sounds disgusting", but it was absolutely delicious plus I "split" it with Sarah. It was very nice to feel like a full, fat and happy American again. I don't get that "I'm stuffed" feeling too much anymore. Couldn't be happier with our Christmas meal.

For dinner I made scrambled eggs with cheese(again), but threw in a curveball this time, and toasted bread in the frying pan to make scrambled egg sandwiches. yum.

Nothing too Christmasy going on here, every now and then we hear fireworks going off, but that's about it, no parades or Christmas carols unfortunately.

I hope everyone back home had a nice and cold Christmas. Enjoy the food and family.

Update on the rodeo festival last week: Two Canadians staying at Blue Trailz where I work went the day after Sarah, the Canadian couple, and I went. Unlike us though they decided to get in the ring with the bulls after a few beers. They got daring and decided to go up and slap the bull on the rear end a few times.

They got away with it but a few moments later the bull charged them and gored one of the guys in the stomach, flinging him up 6 feet in the air like a ragdoll. The horn didn't puncture but he woke up with a huge swelling bulge in his stomach, signs of internal bleeding. He had to be flown back to Canada to have emergency surgery. Why fly all the way back to Canada when the medical care is good here I wondered?
Because Canadian's govt funded health care only applies in Canada.

Last I heard he's doing fine and expected to make a full recovery.

Hope every has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!



Downtown San Jose earlier this month. 

1 comment:

  1. Cheese burger sounded.... well.. glad you enjoyed it. Hey, can't you get a hibachi? Or does that take too long to fire up as well.
    We all missed you and Sarah and we didn't eat cheeseburgers.
    Are there movies there? Are there newspapers to read? Inquiring minds (Melissa and I)want to know.

    ReplyDelete